Installing Ubuntu on Windows 7 Home Premium.

Started by Ken., April 11, 2015, 11:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken.

As promised for Maxx!  :happy:

This will document my adventures while installing Ubuntu on my Windows 7 laptop.

Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

More later.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Maxx

I'm not sure what's up with the Latest version, if it will not work on quad cores, tried 3 separate units(machines) and no go on 64bit.

I am however going to order the latest on CD like I did with the 8.10 version, Don't waste on that though , all packages are out dated and does not want to even up grade to ver 9 + from update manger>

If I'm not mistaking it you need to use the 32bit for Intel machines and the 64bit for AMD, But all my stuff is quad core

2 Intel and one AMD!

I will post more as I try and fail :) also Windows 7, 8.1 and 10  beta pro trail .

also down loading the version for Ubuntu up grade iso

regards,
Maxx

Ken.

Added a partition to the HDD to be used for Ubuntu:
Shrunk the Storage(F:) drive by 30 Gig and then made the unallocated space into Ubuntu(U:). The resulting drive, (U:), ends up being 29.2 Gigs and that should be more than enough because Ubuntu calls for only(!) 5 Gigs of free space.

My laptop specs:
HP dv7-3067nr 'Entertainment Notebook'
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M500 2.20 GHz
4.0 GB

Starting to research website now to make sure to do the best and smoothest install possible.  :cool2:
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

Quote from: Maxx on April 11, 2015, 12:38:30 PM
I'm not sure what's up with the Latest version, if it will not work on quad cores, tried 3 separate units(machines) and no go on 64bit.

I am however going to order the latest on CD like I did with the 8.10 version, Don't waste on that though , all packages are out dated and does not want to even up grade to ver 9 + from update manger>

If I'm not mistaking it you need to use the 32bit for Intel machines and the 64bit for AMD, But all my stuff is quad core

2 Intel and one AMD!

I will post more as I try and fail :) also Windows 7, 8.1 and 10  beta pro trail .

also down loading the version for Ubuntu up grade iso

regards,
Maxx

Worked for me on my AMD 64 bit using Ubuntu 14.10.

Quote from: Ken. on April 11, 2015, 12:50:21 PM
Added a partition to the HDD to be used for Ubuntu:
Shrunk the Storage(F:) drive by 30 Gig and then made the unallocated space into Ubuntu(U:). The resulting drive, (U:), ends up being 29.2 Gigs and that should be more than enough because Ubuntu calls for only(!) 5 Gigs of free space.

My laptop specs:
HP dv7-3067nr 'Entertainment Notebook'
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M500 2.20 GHz
4.0 GB

Starting to research website now to make sure to do the best and smoothest install possible.  :cool2:

If you have SecureBoot you need to disable it. Then download EasyBCD and install it. You can install linux but may have problems getting the bootloader to show without EasyBCD.

Ken.

I had read your post here and had picked up on the EasyBCD thingie and that's on my roadmap for this install.

Maxx

I must be in bad shape I never had trouble ever with Ubuntu, the old 8.10 disc works perfect.. But I find the reason , when I get feeling better!

Thanks Guys ! gots to go!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Quote from: Ken. on April 11, 2015, 03:51:07 PM
I had read your post here and had picked up on the EasyBCD thingie and that's on my roadmap for this install.

Sounds like you're on your way then...unless you botch it up.  :hah:

Quote from: Maxx on April 11, 2015, 03:54:01 PM
I must be in bad shape I never had trouble ever with Ubuntu, the old 8.10 disc works perfect.. But I find the reason , when I get feeling better!

Thanks Guys ! gots to go!

regards,
Maxx

Hmmm, has to be a reason why it's not working. OK cya later...

Ken.

Quote from: Skhilled on April 11, 2015, 03:55:30 PM

Sounds like you're on your way then...unless you botch it up.  :hah:

... me thinks thou may knoweth moi overly much.   :groan:

Skhilled

Maxx

+1 as we learn and try new ways! I think my brain get hijack at times! :)

Skhilled

I think I remembered and did things better when I did drugs long ago.Now that I don't I screw up a lot more!  :hah:

Ken.

@Steve...  :hah:

Me gotta go, my NASCAR race is coming on FoxSports1. ... be back in the Am.

Skhilled

Ken.

Useful Link.

This is what I'm currently reading to study up on my dual-boot install.
I say study up because it has been a long while since I've done this and don't want to screw up my Windows because of some forgotten step.  ???

Maxx

This is where I play with CSS3 and HTML5 stuff:

http://smf.surfacethemes.com/index.php?topic=38.0

Please keep in mind I'm always at play there so... but pushing to the limits of the SMF :)_

I got about four that just need tweaking for the 2.1 Beta at : http://smf21.surfacethemes.com/index.php
feel free to join.

Add to make new site cause I changed hosts for that domain!

regards,
Maxx