Down and uploading

Started by beast, January 26, 2012, 07:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

You need to be a bit more specific. Which site and what did you do?

EDIT: Ok, I see it is the live site. I can see that you've installed a few themes.

beast

I was in FZ deleteing games that were bad on the arcade. I got a blank page *again* on games in admin.-arcade-games I don't know what I did and I don't know how to fix it

:dontknow: :'( :'(
Thanks [you] for reading my post

Skhilled

1. Always backup your file before deleting, installing, or uninstalling anything. If something goes wrong you can just upload the backup files to fix it.

2. BUT...I just looked at your sever via ftp. I "think" you mistakenly moved some directories into the /arcade directory. The problem is I'm not totally sure where they all came from. There should only be games in there but there are quite a few directories that should not be in there as they are not games. You even have a /Games and a /cgi-bin directory in there. The only subdirectory that should be in there should be/gamedata and the games under it. Take a look and see.

I notice some files from "AV Arcade" ??? I have no idea what that is.

This is why I mentioned early on about you moving your forum to a subdirectory such as  * Link no longer valid, for example. Then everything will make more sense as everything that goes in your forum would be in the /forum subdirectory. If you add things in /public_html and your forum is not in a subdirectory you take a chance on adding something with the same directory or file names and it will overwrite your forum directories and files.

If you look at your browser's bar you can see this site is at * Link no longer valid . It is in a subdirectory. I know to not add anything in the /docs directory that has nothing to do with this forum. I do have other forums and each has their own subdirectory.

You can create a redirect either in cPanel or in an index.html file that will automatically redirect your users to the site like in the following forum.

beast

You are more experience at this then any I know, so if that is what I need to do, would you do it for me? I have no idea what, or how to do it

:-[ :-[

Skhilled

Like I said, I'm not sure what you did but can only assume that you've moved some directories. I'm not familiar with your server as I've only been on it a few times. So, I'm not sure what went where.

But...I can move your forum to get things started on the right foot. After moving it, starting over would be the best thing to get rid of anything that is not needed...uploading all new SMF files. I think I've told you this when I first came to your site but this will make your forum like new. You will keep all of the same pm's, posts, users, etc. Just no themes and mods installed.

But you must find out what themes and mods you are going to use and they MUST be designed to work with SMF 2.0.2. You have a lot of work in front of you. You are the admin and must make the decisions for the site. This means choosing the themes and mods and checking to see if others are having problems for them and if there are any fixes for those problems.

When you choose a theme or mod you have to read up on it. Sometimes, it looks nice but if the creator does not answer or fix problems then you'll know you are in for problems as well. Themes and mods with good comments are usually keepers. But play with them on your test site first. You may decide that you do not like them because they are too complex or something else. It will save you the trouble later. ;)

Skhilled

Quote from: Skhilled on February 08, 2012, 09:44:15 AM
Sorry, but I was busy buying a new lens for my camera.  :dancebun:

Got my new lens today! It was guaranteed for delivery for tomorrow. Amazon rocks!!!  :dancebun:

beast

Quote from: Skhilled on February 09, 2012, 09:48:13 AM
Like I said, I'm not sure what you did but can only assume that you've moved some directories. I'm not familiar with your server as I've only been on it a few times. So, I'm not sure what went where.

But...I can move your forum to get things started on the right foot. After moving it, starting over would be the best thing to get rid of anything that is not needed...uploading all new SMF files. I think I've told you this when I first came to your site but this will make your forum like new. You will keep all of the same pm's, posts, users, etc. Just no themes and mods installed.

But you must find out what themes and mods you are going to use and they MUST be designed to work with SMF 2.0.2. You have a lot of work in front of you. You are the admin and must make the decisions for the site. This means choosing the themes and mods and checking to see if others are having problems for them and if there are any fixes for those problems.

When you choose a theme or mod you have to read up on it. Sometimes, it looks nice but if the creator does not answer or fix problems then you'll know you are in for problems as well. Themes and mods with good comments are usually keepers. But play with them on your test site first. You may decide that you do not like them because they are too complex or something else. It will save you the trouble later. ;)

Ok, I'm tired of the site messing up on me ever time I turn around. Lets go ahead and move it and start over. please

:'( :'(

Skhilled

Moving the site is the easy part. Starting over will take a little time to install all of the themes and mods. Best you figure out which themes and mods you want to use first. :)

I also have an idea. I'll recreate the test site so that it has nothing on it. This way you can learn how to do it too. I'll do this after I move the site. Moving the site is easy.

1.  Backup everything on your computer...just in case you accidentally hit the delete button or something. Been there, done that.  :rofl1: Create a directory on your computer that will ONLY hold your forum and database files. You can leave a backup on the server too just in case you lose the one on your computer. Better safe than sorry.

2.  You just copy all of the files (only the forum, theme, and mod files) to a subdirectory.

3.  Get repair_settings.php from SMF.org. When you run it it will reset your URL's in the forum so everything will point to the new subdirectory. You still may have to set a few on the mods like the arcade's path's manually.

4.  Upload it to the forum's root directory then run: http://your_site.com/reapir_settings.php. "your_site", of course, is the actual URL including the new directory.

Then you will be all set and the move will be complete.  :cool2: Do not do this to your live site. Do it to the test site all you want. If you trash it, it can be easily rebuilt and will give you lots of practice.

beast

Quote from: Skhilled on February 10, 2012, 07:08:14 AM
Moving the site is the easy part. Starting over will take a little time to install all of the themes and mods. Best you figure out which themes and mods you want to use first. :)

I also have an idea. I'll recreate the test site so that it has nothing on it. This way you can learn how to do it too. I'll do this after I move the site. Moving the site is easy.

1.  Backup everything on your computer...just in case you accidentally hit the delete button or something. Been there, done that.  :rofl1: Create a directory on your computer that will ONLY hold your forum and database files. You can leave a backup on the server too just in case you lose the one on your computer. Better safe than sorry.

2.  You just copy all of the files (only the forum, theme, and mod files) to a subdirectory.

3.  Get repair_settings.php from SMF.org. When you run it it will reset your URL's in the forum so everything will point to the new subdirectory. You still may have to set a few on the mods like the arcade's path's manually.

4.  Upload it to the forum's root directory then run: http://your_site.com/reapir_settings.php. "your_site", of course, is the actual URL including the new directory.

Then you will be all set and the move will be complete.  :cool2: Do not do this to your live site. Do it to the test site all you want. If you trash it, it can be easily rebuilt and will give you lots of practice.

Ok! I love the new test board. It looks like ever thing is working just right. The above post is way above my head. I'm going to try and do what you said, but its going to be just trial and error. I know you must be getting tried of me but belive me you have taught me more in the last few weeks then anyone ever before

:bow: :bow:

Skhilled

Test sites are just that...for testing. Do not worry about trashing it or making mistakes. If it gets beyond repair, just make a new one. Trust me, just doing that (trashing it and rebuilding it) will teach you a great deal. Embrace the fact that you will trash it and it's ok. It's not your live site. ;)

Skhilled

Oops! I forgot to mention...the fastest and easiest way to move your site is in cPanel's File Manager.

1.  Create a new directory.

2.  Select the /stump (test forum) directory and click on copy.

3.  Type in the new directory you just created.

Then upload repair_settings.php to the new directory, run it, follow it and you're done. :)

beast

I think this is going to be one that you are going to have to walk me thru it. I've never used C panel. I made another folder for stumpburner and after that I don't know how or what to do.
  I tried to download *repair_settings.php* and all I get is a blank page

:groan:

Skhilled

OK, it's easy. Since you already know how to create a new folder the rest is a piece of cake. Go to public_html in File Manager on the left side of the screen. Create a new folder in it.

Click on the /stumptest folder on the right side (do not open it) then click copy at the top. A little box will come up asking where. Make sure that it says /public_html/new_folder (or whatever you named it) and it will copy all of the files to it. You can go to the new folder and see all of your new files. You may have to click on "reload" to see it.

Are you saying that you cannot download repair_settings.php or you cannot get it to work?

beast

Are you saying that you cannot download repair_settings.php or you cannot get it to work?

Yes All I get is a blank page

:dontknow:

beast

Quote from: Skhilled on February 11, 2012, 08:17:23 AM
OK, it's easy. Since you already know how to create a new folder the rest is a piece of cake. Go to public_html in File Manager on the left side of the screen. Create a new folder in it.

Click on the /stumptest folder on the right side (do not open it) then click copy at the top. A little box will come up asking where. Make sure that it says /public_html/new_folder (or whatever you named it) and it will copy all of the files to it. You can go to the new folder and see all of your new files. You may have to click on "reload" to see it.

Ok I got all that done. Now what?

:-[ :-[